Over the past two weeks there has been a series of security incidents in Cairo, including a bombing at the Khan el-Khalili on February 22 that resulted in the death of a foreign tourist, a stabbing at the Khan el-Khalili on February 27 resulting in the injury of an American citizen, and an incident with a Molotov cocktail on the Metro, on February 28, which did not cause any injuries. These events do not appear to be connected, but there is some indication that additional incidents are planned.
The Egyptian Government has visibly increased security levels in the downtown area, around major tourist sites and at public venues such as shopping centers. We advise Americans to take great care in visiting these sites, to remain strictly alert to their surroundings, and to practice good personal security measures. In the past, terrorist attacks have occurred at major tourist sites in Cairo, at the Khan, for example, but also at the Egyptian Museum on Tahrir Square, and the pyramids, as well as against tourist buses. Hotels in resort areas have also been targeted. Travelers should use caution when visiting destination resorts and hotels without significant physical setback and security procedures.
I do want to make sure to state that I do not feel unsafe and have been serving at the hospital as usual. The residents and I have forged a wonderful bond and I am enjoying my time with them. I have established somewhat of a routine at the hospital now:- Make rounds to visit with each of the residents
- Supervise and instruct during morning cares
- 11am I serve tea and home-made treats. The rule is, the residents have to leave their room and come to the Activity Room to get them. My new problem is that the residents have decided I should make tea for them whenever they want it, not just at 11am, so some days I don't seem to get anything else accomplished.........Oh well, hospitality is a worthy spiritual gift to have.
- After tea those interested play a game, usually Dominos. A few of the residents are in for the long haul but most days we have several revolving chairs. As a resident gets tired or unable to follow task any longer they just get up and walk away mid-hand and another resident sits down and picks up like nothing happened. The residents who are cognitively unable to play sit around the table and offer chatter to keep things lively. Staff members frequently join. They start out standing behind a resident offering unsolicited advice on how to play and within minutes have taken over for them. All in all, it is quite a hilarious sight to witness.
- I am trying to get residents to eat lunch out of their rooms so they will socialize as they eat. I had to start getting a meal as well because the residents have a very hard time eating in front of me and kept trying to give me half of their food. They don't think my granola bar and bottle of Crystal Light is an adequate diet.
- Spend the rest of the time trying to get staff to perform skill checks for me. This has become quite a contest of wills. The staff seem to know when I'm going to be out looking for them and disappear and the men like to use our language barrier as a way to pretend they don't understand what I want them to. The charge nurse on the floor really cares for the residents and tries to help me even though she speaks very little English.
In Faith-
Denise

4 comments:
Hey Denise! Thank you for posting the updates. So glad to hear that you are safe! I love that you signed your entry "In Faith". Last night at small group, we were discussing if we exercise our faith and, if so, how. You are an example of living and exercising your faith every day. Your faith is a place for you to find rest, strength, renewal and to see the joys in this experience.
Stay safe! Enjoy your granola bars and Crystal Light! :)~
Love ya!
Kristi
Hey De:
Tried to Skype you today, will try again on Monday.
Always remember that joyful service makes our Lord very happy. You don't have to do Big things to accomplish Big things for the Kingdom. You are such a blessing to the elders!!
Talk to you soon
Much love
Joy
I'm curious about the tea time - I wonder if this is a cultural tradition. It may be prudent for you to do some research.
Denise, have you read the book "Three Cups of Tea"? We just finished reading it at our church book club and I thoroughly enjoyed the learning about the tea tradition from Pakistan. The first time you share a cup, you're acquaintances, the second time you're friends, by the third cup, you're considered family.
I forgot to add, that maybe they consider you family now!
Post a Comment