Friday, February 27, 2009

Explosion at the Khan

Many of you have probably heard about the bomb that went of at the famous tourist bizarre (Khan al-Khalili) in Egypt. I do frequent the Khan however, I did not go there on this day and I live a 45 minute walk away so did not hear or feel anything when it went off. A 17 year old French girl was killed and about 22 other foreigners injured......Please pray for them and their families. Since this incident there has been an obvious increase in Egyptian security. The streets are lined with police and the metro stations have extra security guards walking the platforms. Right now I am working in a predominantly Islamic section of Cairo but for the most part it has been business as usual. I have been a little more aware of my surroundings this week but have felt no sense of being at risk. I went to the Ash Wednesday service this week. After a brief discussion and with a little sadness we decided it would be safest to wash the ashes off our foreheads before leaving the church complex. As I left I noted for the first time since I've been in Egypt, a military security guard at the gate. For those of us in Egypt, that is not a bad or frightening thing. To us it is a sign that the Egyptian government takes our safety seriously and we can go on living our lives. For those of you who like details, the following is an update from my headquarters on the bomb issue:

Egypt (Country threat level - 4): Egyptian officials released new details regarding the 22 February bomb attack targeting a popular tourist destination in Cairo's Old City. The device used in the attack was relatively crude and was detonated via a washing machine timer; the device weighed approximately 1.1 lb/0.5 kg and was filled with gunpowder, pieces of metal and rocks. Authorities stated that the bomb was hidden inside a plastic jar and placed underneath a stone bench located next to a café, the Hussein Mosque and the Khan al-Khalili bazaar. However, contrasting reports continue to emerge regarding whether the bomb was placed at the scene or thrown from a nearby rooftop.

Authorities acted swiftly following the attack and have reportedly detained more than 10 people in connection with the incident; however, it is not uncommon for Egyptian security forces to detain a large group of people following an incident; no details regarding the detainees have been released. The relatively low level of sophistication indicates that the attack could have been perpetrated by a small group of individuals who may have been inspired by Islamists but were not necessarily acting on the behest of a group. Given the socio-economic and political climate in Egypt at present (especially in light of Israel's recent military actions in the Gaza Strip, Egypt's alleged complicity in the campaign and enforcement of the Rafah border terminal with Gaza), it is possible that further sporadic incidents of similar scale could occur. Aside from low-level bombings, they might include shooting attacks, which have occurred in Egypt in the past. Authorities have implemented heavy security measures in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt, particularly at tourist sites and diplomatic facilities. Although this is a positive step, not even the most stringent government measures can provide full security, and travelers and expatriates in Egypt should take their own precautionary measures in order to further lower their vulnerability.

I would ask for prayers of continued safety and that God continues to keep my mind free of worry so that I can concentrate on sharing his love with those I meet.

Peace-

Denise


No comments: