I've made it through week two with flying colors.
I found out that I was wrong in my assumption that Egypt has a dry desert heat. Because Cairo sits on the Nile it is quite humid, about 60% right now, however I actually think I am starting to adjust to the temperature and learning to pace my fluid intakes.
I am getting a daily routine established which has relieved much of my stress level. I have settled into a diet that is part American - part Egyptian. Cairo's city water is suppose to be safe to drink but the chlorine level is so high that it can cause problems for foreigners. Dawson Hall has a water filter and I have been able to decrease the amount of bottled water I drink. I add lemon to the filtered water as an added precaution to any bacteria-type threats and my GI tract seems to be happy with this plan.
My taxi and metro skills are honed so I no longer fear traveling in the city alone. (Besides I now have lots of English-Arabic speaking contacts on speed dial)!
Most of my work-day is spent studying Arabic. I meet with my tutor on Mondays & Thursdays. The rest of the week I spend between 3-4 hours each day on homework. I've graduated from Kindergarten (know my alphabet) and am now learning how to read & write. Memorizing all the words and teaching my brain to translate at conversation pace is the hardest.
I have been attending church services at All Saints Anglican Cathedral with Naadia (my South African friend). There is a Refugee Ministry connected to the church campus so I have met several Sudanese and Malawi families. This past Friday I was able to be part of the baptism of two Sudanese brothers, Christopher and Eric. Harris, 6 month old from Malawi, was agreeable to letting me use him as a substitute grandson.
My emotional ups and downs have tapered off and I have each of you to thank for that. Your prayers and messages are working.
In Faith-
Denise
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I don't even know 1 letter of the Arabic alphabet so you are light years ahead of me. Glad to hear you are adjusting, I am still blown away by your courage. You are in my prayers! Take Care!
Kerri
I am with Kerri, I know absolutely nothing about Arabic except how to spell it but I can order two beers in Spanish, does this count for anything? Anything at all?
I think you are incredibly brave for picking up and going. It took all the faith I know you have and also know God has a plan and you are part of it. He loves you and so do all of us. Can't wait till the next post!
Hi Denise,
It's been a long time but I'm Ben's old pal...Rachel from Manning. I used to take care of him before Jaime:) Anyways, I was at church in Atlantic, where I live, and they did a short presentation about how your mission trip is going. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your work. I know you've waited a long time to get over there and I hope each day brings you much happiness!! And don't worry about Ben, he's in good hands back home:)
Hi Denise!
So good to read about your adventure. (and very happy to hear you are doing okay!!) Your home looks lovely. If I would be able to visit someday, please keep it clean!
Am keeping you in my prayers. Be safe..........deb
Hey Big D!
I'm so proud of you, but not surprised one bit! Between you and our Lord, you will have that language mastered, no doubt about it. Kent is still trying to locate our skype account thingy, will keep you posted.
Post more pictures!!
Keep drinking the water!! Lots of love to you. Read Ephesians 6:10-18, God will always keep you safe!!
Sure do miss you! Joy
Hey Denise,
I love reading your blog about your new adventure! I am so impressed in a week you know the alphabet! I took 3 yrs. of Spanish & I know I didn't learn the alphabet in a week!
You have so much courage to pack up your life & move. I admire you for what you are doing!
Take care of yourself & let us know about your "situation" :^)
You are in my thoughts & prayers!
Kelli
You really need to supply us with more pics!! Glad to hear things are going so swimmingly for you and your learning the language. Remember when we were first learning all the nursing terminology and how foreign some of that seemed? (was that ages ago, or what!?!) Will anxiously await the next blog & of course those pics!! Good luck, God bless & stay safe, Sandy
Post a Comment